Looking for some summer family fun? Here are some ideas to keep you and the kids having a blast this summer…
- Water parks are always a hit to beat the summer heat! Water World and Elitch Gardens Theme and Water Park are both great for keeping the adults and kids entertained.
- If you are looking to stay dry, try one of the many animal encounters in the area: the Denver Zoo, Butterfly Pavilion, Downtown Aquarium, & Dinosaur Ridge are all great options.
- Museums are great indoor activities to escape the heat and learn at the same time! Check out the Denver Art Museum, Children’s Museum of Denver, or the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.
- For those sports enthusiasts, there are several summer sporting events to enjoy. Take in a Colorado Rockies baseball game, a Colorado Rapids soccer game, or a Denver Outlaws lacrosse game sometime this summer.
Of course, these are all things that will cost money, and for a larger size family, you may be looking for more budget friendly options. If that is the case, here are some cheap/free options to keep the family occupied this summer…
- A beach trip may be out of the question, but the nearby lakes could be almost as good. Find a good place to let the kids swim while you relax on a float or in a chair on the shore.
- Public parks are fun for all ages. On the hot summer days, you may want to search out a park with water fountains of some sort to keep the kids cooled off.
- A backyard camp out can make for a wild adventure, and you don’t even have to leave home! Pitch a tent, roast some marshmallows and tell stories around the fire. Your kids will forget you are only a few feet from home.
- Have a bake off in your kitchen. Put the kids’ cooking skills to the test. They will enjoy the competition, and you can take a break from being the family cook for a little while.
- Set up a backyard carnival with homemade games, carnival treats, and maybe even a family show. Invite the neighbors for a bigger audience!
- Build a fort with large boxes, blankets and anything else you can find. This is a good one for inside or outside. Let your imaginations run wild as you decorate different rooms in a castle or build a fort for protection from the “enemy” nerf gun attacks!
- Outdoor water fun doesn’t have to include a pool. You can turn on a sprinkler or fill some water balloons and have just as much fun!
- Crafts are always a good activity to keep the kids’ interest. Tie dying t-shirts, building with play dough or popsicle sticks…whatever your heart desires. For little ones, do messy crafts outside and even try using edible supplies (since it will end up in the mouth at some point anyway).
- Scavenger/Treasure hunts can be a blast for the youngsters. Make some clues and send your kids out to find their way to the prize at the end.
There are many ways to keep the family entertained during the summer. Sometimes it takes a little bit of craftiness if you are looking to stay within a smaller budget, but it is never impossible. Get the older kids involved in setting up the games/activities for the younger kids if they feel they are “too old” to participate.
Feel free to add any other ideas you have for staying active this summer in the comments below. We always love to hear from you!
Source: denver.org, zillow.com