Whether it’s time to get out on your own or you have decided to dump the rent and find a place to call your own, buying a home can be difficult especially if you aren’t prepared. That’s why we are here to help walk you through every step. From starting your home search all of the way to the closing table and beyond, The Selling Rocky Mountain Homes Team will be there to help answer all of your questions and put your fears at ease. So, first time home buyer…this is for you! Here are some tips to get you started on your way to making all of your real estate dreams come true!
- Not just any agent will do. Find the right one for you! An online search for a real estate agent will give you an overwhelming number of results. Here are some things to consider: Don’t just look for any real estate agent that has passed a test and hangs a license in the office. You need a well trained REALTOR® to represent you in this big life event. Also, consider the benefits of a team of professionals rather than a single agent.
- Interview the agents. Once you narrow down your choices and have a few agents to choose from, don’t hesitate to interview each one. This is your time to ask any and all questions you may have about the agent, the team, the process, and anything else that will help put your mind at ease knowing you are choosing the right person for the job.
- Do your own research. After choosing the right agent to represent you, you will also want to do some research on your own. What lender will you want to use? Regardless of what you are pre-approved for, how much do you feel comfortable spending on a home? What type of loan will best suit you? What area do you want to live in? Maybe you need to research schools in that area. Research the crime rate. There are many things to consider. Again, it can be overwhelming to think about it all. That’s why you need to make sure you have a good agent on your side – one that will help you to think about all of the many aspects of home buying helping you make the best choice for you every step of the way.
- What are your future plans? When buying a home, you need to look into the future. Do you see your family growing? If so, you need to look for homes that will fit your needs for several years to come. Do you plan on staying at your current job, or should you look in a central location that would be a good commute to potential future workplaces? Again, school districts are a huge factor if you have children or plan to in the near future. Sit down with your agent and make sure you all discuss your hopes and dreams so you can call your next place home for a long time.
- Be a confident house hunter! You are ready for this! Narrow down your search to a few neighborhoods, take a trusted friend of family member to help you pick the perfect fit for you, and trust your instincts. If something just doesn’t feel right in one house, move on to the next one. If you walk into a house, can see yourself and family (or future family) fitting right in and you just know that’s the house for you, then jump on it! With the current local real estate market, the house you like may not be on the market long. Don’t rush into anything, but if you are sure, you better act fast!
- Work with your agent to come up with a good offer. This is another area where having an experienced professional comes in handy. Knowing the real estate market plays a major role in a good offer. Make sure your agent knows the trends of the area. You don’t want to offer too low and be insulting to the seller, but then you want to get a good deal on the house. Trust your agent to be a good guide during this step of the process.
The Selling Rocky Mountain Homes Team not only hires professional real estate agents, but we require our agents to be REALTORS® (for more on agent vs. REALTOR®, read this blog…). We are also a team rather than a single agent. Why does this matter to you? Having a team of agents and behind the scenes staff at no extra cost to you has huge advantages over a single agent (read more here…). We are happy to meet with you so you can ask us any questions you may have. We are confident that you will be just as pleased as the clients that have left us amazing reviews on our website (see reviews). Not only are we committed to making sure you are satisfied with our service, we want to build a relationship that lasts beyond closing. Feel free to call us anytime @ 720-593-2014. We can’t wait to hear from you!