Are the utility bills causing you financial strain? While we all enjoy warm, cozy winter nights and cool summer days, the cost of comfort can add up! Here are some ways to cut energy costs leaving you some extra cash to enjoy the rest of the summer…
House Hunting? Look for an Energy Efficient Home
If you are looking for a new home, this is the time to really cut back on the utility costs.
- Decide how many square feet you really need and find a home close to that size. Remember more square footage equals more space to heat and cool.
- Updated windows and well insulated attics can significantly reduce energy costs, while cathedral ceilings and sun rooms do the opposite.
Energy Efficient Appliances
If your home (or the home you are purchasing) doesn’t currently have energy efficient appliances, no need to worry. With the common Energy Star rating on appliances these days, you can easily find a water heater, refrigerator, oven or any other major appliance that will save you money on your utilities. High efficiency HVAC systems are a must since roughly half of all utility costs are from heating and cooling the home. For more on Energy Star ratings, click here.
More Tips for Saving Money…
- Replace weather stripping on drafty doors
- Wash laundry in cold water
- Change your ceiling fan direction
- Use energy efficient light bulbs
- Seek expert advice for other ideas