You know when it’s time. The kids are grown. The house seems too big. You don’t even use all of the rooms in your house anymore. It’s time to move into a smaller place that better suits you. While moving to any new place is stressful, having to get rid of things (some being hard to part with) so you can fit into a smaller house can be even harder! Here are 5 steps to ease the stress of downsizing:
- Take inventory of what you currently own. A detailed list of the items you own will help you to identify unnecessary or outdated items as well as help you when it comes time to pack and move.
- Draw out the floor plan of your new home. Take accurate measurements of all rooms. Also measure each piece of furniture and see where it fits in the new place. If it doesn’t fit, don’t move it! This will save time and frustration on moving day.
- Consider the relevance of the item. Ask these questions:
- Is it going to be used in the new home?
- What will it’s purpose be?
- Is there an updated or more condensed version of the same item that may suit you better in your new place?
- Will the cold weather item be useful in the warmer climate you are moving to or vice versa?
- Does the cost to move the item make sense or would it be cheaper just to replace it?
- Organization is very important in any move. Sort your belongings into categories (and get the last 3 categories out of the way as quickly as possible):
- Keep – It’s going with you.
- Sell – Find it a new home.
- Donate – Give it to a friend, relative or local charity.
- Trash – It’s not worth selling or donating…throw it away!
- Start preparing for your move early! There will be too much going on as you get closer to moving day. You don’t need the stress of deciding what to keep and what to let go on your mind as well. As soon as you make up your mind to downsize, start the process of eliminating some of your belongings. Downsizing will make your life much easier, so don’t be afraid to let go of some of your possessions.
If you know it’s time for you to sell your home and start looking for a smaller place that better fits your lifestyle, give us a call @ 720-593-2014. We are excited to start working with you to help you achieve your real estate goals!